I was asked to speak in church a few weeks ago - not my favorite thing to do. When the bishop called I tried to quickly rack my mind for a believable and honest excuse. I came up with nothing and reluctantly agreed. The topic was 'gratitude'; ironic because in the moment I was feeling anything but. Speaking in church however is one of those thing which you don't want to do (at least me), but after are so glad you did. It was a great reminder to me of how blessed we really are, and the importance of teaching our kids to be truly grateful little people.
A note came home from school the other day that they were collecting coats, blankets, and boots for families in need. I thought this would be a great chance for the kids to give, plus a great way to get rid of some blankets that we really are not in need of. I read the letter to them and their little eyes just lit up. They both rushed upstairs to pick out one of their blankets to give away. Ellie made sure to pick one that she though would be warm. I LOVED this. It is so hard to teach your kids about true gratitude when they live in and time and a place in the world where they have so much. This was a glimmer of hope for me that they are maybe grasping it. I loved that they were so willing and excited to give.
I am really trying to be grateful for all of my blessings even the small ones. When I sent the kids out the door this morning to catch the school bus how grateful I was! The school bus - what a blessing that is!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
That is a cute picture of Elle and Leah. We will do lunch, soon!
Post a Comment